Terror strikes heart of Tel Aviv

Three people were injured in the attack, including one critically.

By Erin Viner

The attack occurred just after 8 PM last night as people were sitting at a café on Dizengoff Street, one of the coastal city’s most popular spots, when a Palestinian gunman opened fire.

Security forces immediately began pursuit of the assailant, who attempted to escape the scene. Ultimately, “two policemen and two civilians who were in the area engaged the terrorist and killed him,” said Israel’s Police Commissioner.

An Israeli Police officer, who can only be identified as ‘Superintendent A,’ said he fired on the terrorist as he charged, pistol in hand, toward him and several other security forces. “He fell where he stood and was eliminated,” said the superintendent.

Israel Police International Spokesman Master Sergeant Dean Alsdunne stressed that, “Due to the professionalism of these police officers, they managed to from taking place.”

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, informed of the shooting attack during his ongoing state visit to Italy, declared, “We send, first of all, our hopes and our wishes for the speedy recovery of the wounded, and we strengthen the security forces and the police who are fighting terrorists this night and every night. We will continue to build our nation and deepen our roots, and to build our common future as brothers and sisters.”

United States Ambassador to Israel Thomas Nides said on Twitter: “Shocked by tonight’s brazen terrorist attack in Tel Aviv that targeted innocent people. Praying for those who were injured.”

The shooting occurred just hours after US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin ended a brief visit to Israel during which he called on all sides to de-escalate the violence.

The attack comes amid a surge of Palestinian terrorism, that has claimed the lives of 40 people in Israel since 2021 – with 14 since the start of this year.

The assailant was identified as a 23-year-old resident of the West Bank village of Ni’lin, proudly claimed as a member by the the Islamist Hamas terror group.

“The heroic operation today in Dizengoff Street in the city of Tel Aviv is the natural reaction of our people and their resistance to the repeated massacres committed by the occupation in all the cities of the West Bank,” declared Hamas Spokesman Hazem Qassem, insisting that, “The occupation bears full responsibility for all the crimes it commits against our Palestinian people. The time has passed when the occupation kills our people without a response equal to the extent of its crimes.”

Overnight,  IDFIsrael Security Agency (ISA, Shin Bet) and Border Police mapped out the terrorist’s residence in Ni’lin for future demolition, They also took two of his family members into custody for questioning.

During the activity, suspects hurled explosive devices, dozens of firebombs and rocks at the forces, who responded with .22 caliber rounds. A hit was identified, said the Israeli military.

Also last night, Israel Police’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) personnel were dispatched to the Jewish community of Beitar Illit, where a suspect explosive device on a public bus.

Other operations were carried out in the West Bank Palestinian city of Tulkarm, where Israeli forces responded with live fire after being shot at by several armed gunmen. A later shooting was carried out from a passing vehicle toward the forces, who responded with live fire toward the armed gunman, who also hurled explosive devices at the troops.

Early this morning, a terrorist armed with knives and explosive devices arrived at the Dorot Illit area. The owner of the land spotted the terrorist and fired at him, eliminating the terrorist. Security forces searched the area and no additional suspects were found at the scene.

No IDF injuries were reported in any of the incidents.