image Photo: Flash90

Terrorist stabs 2 soldiers

This, as the IDF retaliates for Gaza rocket attacks and Arab violence flares in Jerusalem.

By Erin Viner

A Palestinian terrorist from Hebron infiltrated Israel and stabbed two IDF soldiers near the Nir Tzvi Junction, who were en route to the IDF’s Central Command base in Tzrifin.

Both Israeli servicemembers were evacuated to the Assaf HaRofeh Hospital, one in severe condition with stab wounds to his neck and the second with ‘light inuries’ with stab-wounds to his face.

“The attacker was arrested on the spot by civilians and police forces who arrived at the scene minutes after the attack,”- said Deputy Commissioner of the Israel Police Central Precinct Commander Avi Biton.

The defense establishment launched a manhunt for a second suspected assailant who may have fled the scene in a car.

Earlier today, a shooting attack was carried out toward a military post at Checkpoint 30. Hits were identified on the post. IDF soldiers who were at the scene responded with live fire, and following searches in the area, bullet casings were found.

No IDF injuries were reported, and forces continue searching the area for suspects.

Meanwhile, Islamists in the Gaza Strip fired 16 rockets at southern Israeli towns this morning. Eight were downed by the Iron Dome anti-missile system.

A 30-year-old man was lightly injured after falling while rushing to a bomb shelter, although there were no reported significant casualties. A factory in Sderot was damaged in the attack.

In retaliation, IDF fighter jets struck a military compound belonging to the Hamas terrorist organization in northern Gaza Strip. The compound was used as a training facility for terrorist operatives. IDF tanks additionally struck Hamas military posts along the border of the Gaza Strip.

In Jerusalem, Israeli police entered the Al-Aqsa Mosque before dawn. The action was ordered to evict dozens of masked Arabs who had barricaded themselves inside last night – in apparent preparation for a possible confrontation with Jewish worshippers on the eve of the Passover festival.

Those inside hurled rocks, shot fireworks and waved clubs at officers, who attempted to persuade them to leave in a peaceful manner. Riot police were ultimately deployed to remove the masked men.

Tensions are particularly on edge this year due to coinciding of the Jewish Passover and Muslim holy month of Ramadan, amid fears that hostilities over escalating Israeli-Palestinian violence could be unleashed at the Al-Aqsa Mosque, located on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem’s Old City. Tens of thousands of Muslims traditionally worship at the mosque, Islam’s third holiest site, throughout the month.

The Islamist Hamas terror organization in Gaza branded the police action an “unprecedented crime” and called on Palestinians in the West Bank “to go en masse to the Al-Aqsa mosque to defend it.” Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) terror boss Ziyad al-Nakhala also condemned the incident as a “serious threat” and called on Palestinians to prepare “for the inevitable confrontation in the coming days.”

Nabil Abu Rudeineh, the Spokesman for Palestinian Authority (PA) President Mahmoud Abbas, said the move “exceeds all red lines and will lead to a large explosion.”

Condemning the incident “in the strongest terms, the Jordanian Foreign Ministry warned Israel over “consequences of this dangerous escalation” and said Amman is holding Jerusalem “responsible for the safety of the blessed Al-Aqsa Mosque.”

The Foreign Ministries of Egypt, Turkey and Saudi Arabia also denounced what the referred to as an Israeli intrusion into Al-Aqsa.